Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increase in orders with first name twice e.g. Fred Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    Someone this week placed an order for a dog bowl but in the personalisation field her name is there. Of course, that was a mistake (it should have been her dog's name) but she only just noticed 3 days later. This is getting really annoying now and is getting customers cross.

BP - is there no way of turning autofill off or making it work better on our sites please?
    I've just had a quick peek at this, and it seems theres no easy fix, chrome and firefox seem to be ignoring the code to turn off autocomplete.
    Regards

Neil.

Im also getting sick of this now, 70% of my addresses need amending. Im using Crafty Clicks, does anybody use a reliable alternative to crafty clicks?

I don't use an address/postcode lookup service.

Until recently we had been using BP for 15 years and as far as I can remember we have never ever had an order with this type of problem.

I have been with BP for a few years (not 15, lol) and this never used to be a big issue. It was a rare occurrence. Now it is relatively frequent.

Are you using PayPal express or whatever itís called where the shopper gets transferred to PayPal to take name, address and card details ?

No, it is all done on BP.

OK. It was just a thought that could potentially have been the problem.

Might be worth someone who is getting a lot of these to have a look at installing some session tracking software. Whether thereís any with free trials at the moment I donít know but itís a good way of recording whatís happening during the ordering process.

I've been using BP for 7 years now and rarely get this...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've just had a quick peek at this, and it seems theres no easy fix, chrome and firefox seem to be ignoring the code to turn off autocomplete.
    ok, but there's still things that could be done on the page during the field validation (or post submit) to reduce this.

For example, if any of these are found highlight the field with an "are you sure" message

1) Check for an "@" in the name fields (sometimes get email addresses in first/last name fields)
    2) If the first and last name are the same
    3) If the company name is is "Mr" or "Mrs" etc
    4) Also check for credit card numbers in the name fields (I saw several examples of this years ago and thought people were just idiots, but it could have been an early autofill... not seen it happen in the last few years though!)

and

4) If the City and County both say "London" just delete the county automatically when the page is submitted. (only ever seen this for London, everybody else seems to know what county they live in)

This whole thing is driving me nuts now. I am getting 2-4 a week.

This whole thing is driving me nuts now. I am getting 2-4 a week.
    Generally, this is just a bit of a faff to correct it - but it can be more of a problem when their email address is their first name and you can't figure out what the first name is from the email - so then who are you supposed to address it to? Just their surname? What if there is a family living at the address, how do they know who it's for...? Had a few like that and just had to leave the email as the first name on the address label. An email address anywhere but the email field really needs to generate an error (and once they realise autofill isn't filling correctly maybe they'll check the other fields...

It is a bit more than just a faff. People are receiving bowls, bandanas and other personalised items with things on them like their surname!!!!

It is a bit more than just a faff. People are receiving bowls, bandanas and other personalised items with things on them like their surname!!!!
    Hmmm... yes, that is a bit more important. Not sure how the personalisation feature works - can it be moved to a different page, or can you change the nearby text/formatting to really highlight it and say, "It's really important you get this right"...?

Or a post sale auto email that has the chosen word in huge letters along with the text "this is what it's going to say on your [whatever]"...? Just to try and reduce the problem until such time as BP fix it?

They are getting it right but at some stage autofill is changing what they entered.

I don't think BP can fix it as autofill is a browser issue.

We also have this issue. 3 or 4 per day. Common errors are customer titles mr or Mrs in the company field, email address in the first name field. We also use crafty clicks.

We don't use any postcode lookup add ons, but we get this sometimes, like the whole address in one line , so I think it's auto-fill problem and nothing to do with Blue Park
    Steve.
    "Just because you seen it on the internet, does not make it true or right" -Abraham Lincoln
    www.designerpicturemounts.com Photo mounts, Heart Shaped Mounts, and many other Shaped Photo Mounts

bluepark10 -10%

Quote Originally Posted by MountMan View Post
    We don't use any postcode lookup add ons, but we get this sometimes, like the whole address in one line , so I think it's auto-fill problem and nothing to do with Blue Park
    I don't think BP can fix it as autofill is a browser issue.
    Yes, it's an autofill issue, and not BP. But that doesn't mean BP can't do anything about it.

I've listed a bunch of things (field validation checks) further up that they can do to mitigate the autofill problem. As for the "custom" issue, that could be fixed by getting the customer to select the customised text before the checkout page then not letting the field be changed in the checkout.

Just because it's not BP's fault doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything about it.