Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increase in orders with first name twice e.g. Fred Fred

Agreed. I have spoken to BP a number of times now though about this as it is causing me massive problems with personalised items going out with the wrong names on but BP say they can't do anything. I even emailed again the other day and said are you sure nothing can be done and they still say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    Agreed. I have spoken to BP a number of times now though about this as it is causing me massive problems with personalised items going out with the wrong names on but BP say they can't do anything. I even emailed again the other day and said are you sure nothing can be done and they still say no.
    Then perhaps try a different approach. Give them a specific solution and say "why can't you do this?"

If I had a solution I am sure they would be happy to hear it... wot? lol.

If I had a solution I am sure they would be happy to hear it... wot? lol.
    What page to the customers initially enter the personalised message on?

The product page.

The product page.
    So the suggestion would be, "why can't you make this field read-only during the checkout so that rogue autofill apps don't change it?"

I suppose that would depend on when autofill makes the changes.

I suppose that would depend on when autofill makes the changes.
    Presumably in the checkout. If they only have one field to fill in on the product page you'd think they'd notice if autofill entered the wrong text - especially if the page bangs on about how it is important to make sure they're spelt it correctly etc.

I'm assuming that the personalised field also appears in the checkout? Otherwise my suggest makes no sense...

I'll go back to Liam with that idea and let you know :-)

I don't know if this helps or not, we have an option on the product page that insists the customer selects an option to confirm they have checked what they have entered, as in this screen shot and we get very few problems of the type you are describing.

Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 14.49.57.jpg

We do get a lot of problems with the address fields in the checkout, but not with the personalisation fields.
    Chris

Yeah, that is a good check but I have a feeling people are entering things correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarGames View Post
    So the suggestion would be, "why can't you make this field read-only during the checkout so that rogue autofill apps don't change it?"
    I've come here from Deefer's ticket.

Autofill doesn't change fields that are already pre-populated, so this isn't happening anyway.

I've battled with autofill for years (going back a decade). We used to put autocomplete="off" into the form tag, then Chrome decided that web developers couldn't be trusted, so they ignore that attribute now.

In the past we've tried various workarounds, hidden form fields with dummy names to bait autofill into populating those instead, you name it. You can't stop autofill reliably, I'm afraid.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

It is like something has changed recently though. I used to get a few very occasionally but now I am getting quite a few and it seems to the the text/personalisation field of a certain product.

It is like something has changed recently though. I used to get a few very occasionally but now I am getting quite a few and it seems to the the text/personalisation field of a certain product.
    The label in front of the field is "Name or text". Reviewing your tickets, it appears that Chrome is putting the customer's full name into that field. Short of re-labelling the field, I don't know what to suggest. There's no HTML, that I'm aware of, that can stop Chrome's autofill.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Yes, I am going to rename it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The label in front of the field is "Name or text". Reviewing your tickets, it appears that Chrome is putting the customer's full name into that field. Short of re-labelling the field, I don't know what to suggest. There's no HTML, that I'm aware of, that can stop Chrome's autofill.
    Sure but you can error check it when they submit the page and point out any obvious errors - rather than refusing to continue perhaps highlight the offending fields and have an "are you sure?" button to continue. Other things just from today in addition to checks I've previously suggested - "UK" in ANY field that isn't the country field; any field that is an exact duplicate of another field (gets rid of London London problem for a start!)

Renaming some fields has definitely helped. It is a case of being careful not to use words in a field that Google may mistake for something else.

Sure but you can error check it when they submit the page and point out any obvious errors - rather than refusing to continue perhaps highlight the offending fields and have an "are you sure?" button to continue. Other things just from today in addition to checks I've previously suggested - "UK" in ANY field that isn't the country field; any field that is an exact duplicate of another field (gets rid of London London problem for a start!)
    Perhaps flagging up errors on the page isn't the best idea (except an email address in the name field, definitely error that) as we don't really want to delay them during the checkout. Maybe a better idea would just be to auto-correct obvious errors when the order is placed.

Like today where one customer had their company name in the company field and the 1st line of the address field, plus having London as the City and county (London London is a popular one)... Followed by another customer who apparently lives in Cardiff Cardiff. Seriously, how hard can it be to say "if the city = county then delete the county" and so on?

Perhaps flagging up errors on the page isn't the best idea (except an email address in the name field, definitely error that) as we don't really want to delay them during the checkout. Maybe a better idea would just be to auto-correct obvious errors when the order is placed.

Like today where one customer had their company name in the company field and the 1st line of the address field, plus having London as the City and county (London London is a popular one)... Followed by another customer who apparently lives in Cardiff Cardiff. Seriously, how hard can it be to say "if the city = county then delete the county" and so on?
    Have you considered using postcode lookup provider ? BP integrates with Loqate very easily, integrations --> website plug-ins, and quite a few of us on here use Crazy Clicks which is very easy to integrate and works out cheaper than Loqate. Should at least cutout some of the errors !
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Have you considered using postcode lookup provider ? BP integrates with Loqate very easily, integrations --> website plug-ins, and quite a few of us on here use Crazy Clicks which is very easy to integrate and works out cheaper than Loqate. Should at least cutout some of the errors !
    I use postcode lookup and itís exactly the same issue. I think that was what started this thread as we thought it was that initially.