Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping Basket action

Default Shopping Basket action

Whilst on another site recently, after selecting an item for the basket, a message popped up to ask if I wanted to go to basket contents or continue shopping, with continue shopping being the default and the message disappearing after a few seconds.

This strikes me as a good idea as, if you want to buy multiple (different) items, you are constantly having to click the "return to shopping" button from the basket contents page.

Would others find this type of pop up useful and, Rich, is this something that could be implemented if there was enough support?

Hi Mike,

You can change the add to basket behaviour via the site-->configuration-->product tab. So when adding a product it can either
    a) view basket
    b) continue shopping
    c) continue shopping & show related products
    Regards,

Dave

I know what you mean by the message popping up. I have seen ones where some sort of slick animation appears. This does not happen in a pop up window so the customer is always on your website. This is really useful if people do not know what to do next. I've spoken to a customer once and she thought google was our website:-)

It would be really good if we had the same functionality. Below is an example of a site which has this. If you add an item to the basket see what happens in the top right hand corner of your screen:

http://www.joulesclothing.com/produc...PADDINGTON.htm

I also like the above websites image viewer where you can zoom in on the product by hovering over the image. Also the enlarge image library has options where you can choose additional images all within the same screen.

I also came across another website where if you go to the product selection page and hover over the images it enlarges them. Click on the below link to see what I mean:

http://www.east.co.uk/c/Accessories_Belts.htm

Hi Dave
    Thanks for that. You learn something new every day!

Problem with the "continue shopping" though is that you don't see, or get notified, of anything going into the basket and I was wondering, at first, if the item was actually added. At first glance I was tempted to add the item again until I noticed the basket indicator in the header.

A pop up seems to add a touch of slickness to me. Interested to know others thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbite View Post
    I also like the above websites image viewer where you can zoom in on the product by hovering over the image. Also the enlarge image library has options where you can choose additional images all within the same screen.
    This has previously been discussed here and is on Rich's to do list
    http://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=zoom
    Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Dave
    Thanks for that. You learn something new every day!

Problem with the "continue shopping" though is that you don't see, or get notified, of anything going into the basket and I was wondering, at first, if the item was actually added. At first glance I was tempted to add the item again until I noticed the basket indicator in the header.

A pop up seems to add a touch of slickness to me. Interested to know others thoughts.
    Hi Mike,

As you are using the welcome block on your site it does display the number of items in the basket both within the navigation bar (view basket) and the welcome block.

Personally, I am not sure about having a popup because a) customers could find this annoying and b) what it they have popups blocked?

Only my opinion and as you say interested to know what others think.
    Regards,

Dave

I agree that a pop-up could be annoying. However I do like the idea of some kind of visual indication that something's gone into the basket, either by the example given by soundbite http://www.joulesclothing.com/produc...PADDINGTON.htm or one I've seen somewhere else (but can't remember where!) where when you add the item to your basket, the product's image kind of floats across the screen into the basket on the right hand side.

My preference would be to have a mini shopping basket display in the right column. If the customer clicks on the description it then takes them to the product page. At least this way the customer can see the order building-up without having to view the shopping basket

For example

1x Henry Hoover....94.60
    1x Air brush R...... 24.32
    VAT.................... 17.84
    Total...............

Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    My preference would be to have a mini shopping basket display in the right column. If the customer clicks on the description it then takes them to the product page. At least this way the customer can see the order building-up without having to view the shopping basket

For example

1x Henry Hoover....94.60
    1x Air brush R...... 24.32
    VAT.................... 17.84
    Total...............

Could cause problems for larger order. Quite a large %age of our orders are 20+ lines so that would be one huge basket column.
    Unless, it just showed the last item (or two) added, plus the total. That would be ok.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hi Mike,

As you are using the welcome block on your site it does display the number of items in the basket both within the navigation bar (view basket) and the welcome block.

Personally, I am not sure about having a popup because a) customers could find this annoying and b) what it they have popups blocked?

Only my opinion and as you say interested to know what others think.
    As with all these things I think it should be a switchable option if it is possible.

I thought that embedded pop ups were treated differently by pop blockers.

As we haven't had any updates for a few months now I think we need to give Rich something to do!

Out of the 3 options below which do you think is best.

1. Image zoom - when you hover over the category page. This saves the customer from going into each product page to view larger images. eg:

http://www.east.co.uk/c/Accessories_Belts.htm

2. Basket popup - when a customer places a product into their basket an image appears showing what they have placed in their basket. This saves the customer from having to go to the first checkout page. It also gives the customer an indication of what to do next, for customers who are not familiar with ordering over the internet. eg:

http://www.joulesclothing.com/produc...PADDINGTON.htm

3. Image zoom on the product page. This is so the customer can have a really good close of the product they are interested in.

I can't decide between options 1 & 2 as they each have they both have their own plus points.

Let me know what you think

On the pop-up thingy debate here's another option.

How about remain shopping but have an indicator on the product page that 'n' items have been added to your basket - just like the supermarkets do. That avoids pop-ups.

I do like the mini-basket block idea though.

Regarding image zooms, I'm afraid I'm happy with it how it is. The zoom options I have seen and like is where the product image is shown with a navigation bar containing magnifying glasses with + and - to zoom in and out, together with arrow keys to move the image about - very flexible and great with large images. Sorry for not putting a link here as its a competitor!

However, as with all these zoom things speed is of the issue and the site I speak of does have nice big images but anything less than a good 1mb broadband and it falls over (way too slow).

Regards
    Jonathan Read

On the shopping basket issue, one thing I have seen is a different basket image (a trolley with items in it) being shown once items have been added, which worked pretty well for me. So the suggestion would be to have an empty basket image and a full basket image display option.

This would be if Dave's suggestion of a mini display of items added to the basket can't be done, as I prefer this option.

Bump.

I would really like to see a block that shows the last item or two added to the basket, plus order totals.

Good news, check the Latest Updates - 3 blocks for the price of 1.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Fantastic! Thank you very much Rich.
    Chris

A great new feature.... thanks Rich

Gill
    www.ever-so-sexy.com
    www.loves-lingerie.co.uk

These are great new additions, well done.

Would it be possible for recently viewed block to be available for centre columns - please?

Regards
    Jonathan Read

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Read View Post
    These are great new additions, well done.

Would it be possible for recently viewed block to be available for centre columns - please?

Regards
    Our thoughts exactly. It would follow the Amazon style of presentation as a centre block.