Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emails going to spam on Gmail and Hotmail

Angry Emails going to spam on Gmail and Hotmail

It seems that in a lot of cases emails that we send (either order confirmation, dispatch notifications from BP, or manual emails from outlook) are getting sent to the spam folder for a lot of customers with gmail or hotmail accounts. This happens across all our BP websites.

I don't know what it is about BP email that these free accounts don't like, but clearly it's not ideal when customers email us then email us again to complain that we have't replied to them when we have.

It's got to the point where when I need to send an email to a customer, and they have a gmail or hotmail account, I just use a non-BP email so they actually receive it.

Is there anything we can do to fix this?

We have this as well. Definitely needs looking at, am sure there's settings that need putting in place, but whether its BP or our job, im not sure.
    Regards

Neil.

Have you got an spf record set-up? If not, then that's the most likely reason BP emails are not reaching their destination, here's a useful link:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/33786?hl=en

Also the link below is great for testing how your emails look spam-wise:

https://www.mail-tester.com/

So create a fake order on your website and use the email provided by mail tester and you will see the quality of your emails from BP, mine are usually 10/10

Your SPF record should end up looking like this:

v=spf1 a mx ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address for BP servers, BP support should help with that one

We have a big problem with this, the last newsletter generated 100's of problem delivery messages and we are still getting 100's every night plus hotmail on a test is going to spam. I think this includes live.com or any outlook ones too. My email isn't hosted with BP but because the emails come via BP its their system. BP did change something in the settings so the emails came from my own outgoing email smtp (I think I got that right) but hotmail still went to junk. Im currently waiting to see if future emails to hotmail, live, etc get blocked as the tweek was only made a few days ago. In addition I tested resending the hotmail email after the tweek from the email log on bp and it didn't arrive to the recipient at all despite multiple goes. BP were very helpful but as of yet I dont know that its fixed really especially for hotmail going to junk etc.

It would be great if BP supported using your own SMTP email servers to send emails. One to add the the new suggestions board when it is launched.

Quote Originally Posted by martinobi View Post
    It would be great if BP supported using your own SMTP email servers to send emails. One to add the the new suggestions board when it is launched.
    Just to say, we already support this. Go to DNS Records and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Outlook has temporarily "rate limited" one of our IP addresses this week (for apparently no reason, as far as I can see). We've requested removal, but unfortunately we're in their hands.

The server in question most certainly did not send out any spam. Emails sent via our system all have an unsubscribe link, and GDPR compliance is built in.
    Developer :: Bluepark Solutions

Thanks Rich, been using BP for 12 years and only just noticed that, now you have pointed it out

We're having a lot of email bounce backs, spoke to BP about it and was told to sort it out myself by logging with Microsoft which was a bit disappointing

Microsoft got back to me today with the following:

"Not qualified for mitigation
    Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation."

I honestly don't know what that means

Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    We're having a lot of email bounce backs, spoke to BP about it and was told to sort it out myself by logging with Microsoft which was a bit disappointing

Microsoft got back to me today with the following:

"Not qualified for mitigation
    Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation."

I honestly don't know what that means
    Basically means that server has a bad reputation for spam.
    Regards

Neil.

It's a complete nightmare, all emails from customers and emails from my site are usually forwarded to a live.co.uk address that I use for everything but now they are not being forwarded.

Have you tried using the SMTP settings as mentioned by Rich above?

The emails will be coming from your email providers then rather than Bluepark's servers. This of course depends upon your subscriber list size. I think Office 365 exchange allows up to 10,000 emails a day.

We've now found a way to resolve this ourselves, but I'm not fond of the solution - please read the Latest Update in your Admin Panel, as there's an important message that goes along with it.

No, the emails are from Bluepark's servers, order confirmations, questions via my website and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by martinobi View Post
    Have you tried using the SMTP settings as mentioned by Rich above?

The emails will be coming from your email providers then rather than Bluepark's servers. This of course depends upon your subscriber list size. I think Office 365 exchange allows up to 10,000 emails a day.

Thanks for this Rich but do we need to do anything or are the IP addresses automatically switched over to the other ones?

There's nothing for you to do, this was a server level change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's nothing for you to do, this was a server level change.
    Would be I right in thinking you've just disabled all outgoing email addresses from Gmail and Hotmail. Without any warning notification for us to switch them over.

HI, do I now need to update our SPF records? We are having issues with one of our sites.

Quote Originally Posted by LMN118 View Post
    Would be I right in thinking you've just disabled all outgoing email addresses from Gmail and Hotmail. Without any warning notification for us to switch them over.
    Please check the Latest Updates, we informed everyone on 19th May.

Also, if you've been using one of those email addresses as your "from" address, then the majority of your emails will have been sent to spam by your recipients anyway - this change is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    HI, do I now need to update our SPF records? We are having issues with one of our sites.
    I know we've answered your ticket on this, but we've also now added this information to the Latest Updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Please check the Latest Updates, we informed everyone on 19th May.

Also, if you've been using one of those email addresses as your "from" address, then the majority of your emails will have been sent to spam by your recipients anyway - this change is a good thing.
    It may be a good thing, although we've not had an issue with it, however, you should have notified your customers before making the change to give us a chance to change it. Pushing a notification after the fact is irrelevant as your customers may not have had a chance to see it.

That is very unprofessional, if you are making a change that affects your customers business notify them, give them the chance to make the change and then push the update. That is basic common sense let alone good business practice.