Thread: Image heavy homepage

Default Image heavy homepage

We're increasingly using more jpeg images on our landing and shop pages. While it creates a nice looking layout, I'd imagine there's less for those little crawly bots to get their teeth into. Any tips on how to make the most of them? Image file names, alt text and tags I've got, but anything else? Or does it even matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomg View Post
    We're increasingly using more jpeg images on our landing and shop pages. While it creates a nice looking layout, I'd imagine there's less for those little crawly bots to get their teeth into. Any tips on how to make the most of them? Image file names, alt text and tags I've got, but anything else? Or does it even matter anymore?
    I think a relevant file name with an accompanying alt tag is about the best practice, but you could also add a keyword rich title to the image within the HTML if you haven't done so already (so when you hover the image your presented with a tooltip).

The only other thing I can think of is that if you have text which is part of the image and therefore can't be 'read' by Google etc., instead replace with real text over the top of it as at least that ways its legible for search engines.

Bear in mind also that page load speed has an impact on SEO, so try and keep the image file sizes as small as possible. One mistake I often see is images being used that are physically far bigger that required and then being shrunk down with CSS. It would make better practice to resize the image in an art package first to the maximum size it will ever be displayed at as that will in-turn also bring down the file size.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is that if you have text which is part of the image and therefore can't be 'read' by Google etc., instead replace with real text over the top of it as at least that ways its legible for search engines.
    This is the bit thats a bit of embuggerence. Most of the images have the text embedded, so nothing to crawl. Having standard text over them just starts destroying the general layout, as things get squished and adjusted to fit. I've seen numerous site that do thei, but then use clever coding tricks like disabling the text completely once it starts to get squished, so the page still keeps looking fine, but which are beyond my scope.