Thread: Google Bot attempting to place orders?

Default Google Bot attempting to place orders?

I have four attempted orders today from rate-limited-proxy.....google.com.

They spend a good half an hour trying to checkout as John Smith. all are now in unfinished orders using a john smith gbxx (using different numbers) gmail account.

A quick search online showed that apparently these are fake google bots, which if they place an order, use fake card details. I don't accept orders from the USA, so they shouldn't succeed in placing an order.

A reverse IP look up says they are in Oregon.

Is there any way I can block whoever is doing this?

Are your products listed on Google Shopping ?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Sellers that upload their product feeds to Google Shopping will get Google’s bots crawling their sites. This is to ensure the price in the feed matches the price on both the product page and when the product is added to the basket. It also checks the shipping charges are correct.
    Regards,

Dave

Yes, they're on Google Shopping. But why would a Google bot attempt to place an order.. 4 times?

I've used Google before and never had them attempt to place an order before.

From the research I did last night, these are not genuine Google bots, they are fake, and even Google help pages said they wouldn't attempt to place orders.

I have blocked the IP addresses used, if it is Google, I'll eventually get a notification in my account. So I guess we'll see.

Sorry I have no idea, it's only what I read somewhere. Blocking IP's could be a lengthy process unless they are using a block of IP's where you can use the wildcard character. You also have to be very careful when blocking IP's because you don't want to be blocking any spiders which may effect your rankings but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Done a quick search and on a forum of one of BP competitors I found this but again who knows whether it's correct or not !

"Madison here with the Guru team at xxxxx. Just following up on the chat we had earlier today! I just wanted to let you know that I was able to confirm that those abandoned checkouts are from Google. These are not a security concern, and appear to be Google running tests on your checkout."
    Regards,

Dave

Found this article: https://searchengineland.com/wsj-goo...g-carts-337098

(the original WSJ article is behind a paywall)

We've had a bunch of these over the last week, and quite a while ago as well. Best just to ignore them. But don't block them, we blocked india once as we were getting a lot of fake traffic and sometime later google complained that they couldn't see our website - turned out their support guys were trying to access it from India...

I had 7 failed orders from 'John smith' on 15th September

these are the ip's used

and they appear to be back again 7 attempted orders in the last 12 hours?

this it the email used

johnsmithstore.91@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    I had 7 failed orders from 'John smith' on 15th September

these are the ip's used

Ive just had 11 of these in july, they are obviously still at it. I dont do google shopping.

We still get them periodically. Sometimes as many as 15 or more in a day, then it will go weeks with none. We just delete the unfinished orders after a couple of days.