Thread: Category specific product page

Default Category specific product page

I've had a scan of the threads and can't find an answer to this anywhere else so forgive me if it's been asked already.

I want to add a books category to our site, but I need the product page to display differently from other categories. For example I need to change labels SKU to ISBN, brand to publisher etc.

Is there a way to create a category specific page layout?

Lisa

talbotwharf.co.uk

You could do it by using custom data fields.
    Regards,

Dave

Thanks, I'll try that
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by TalbotWharf View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that
    Lisa
    No problem. It’s not ideal but a good workaround !
    Regards,

Dave

I'm struggling with making a product detail page. I can't find blocks to add to the page layout I've created. Am I on the wrong track?
    I've created a product page in the page manager, and assigned it to a page layout, but can't work out how to view it with products in.

Lisa

I was suggesting you use the custom data fields as follows :

1) Under the channels tab use one of the empty custom data fields ie custom data 1 to enter the relevant details for the product like below

<b>ISBN :</b> 978-3-16-148410-0<br />
    <b>Publisher : </b> XYZ Company

2) Then in your default template under the custom HTML you need to add the custom data 1 variable to display this info. If the product details page box is empty view the default HTML template and copy and paste into the box and save. Then add the following into the code in that box where you want the info to be displayed and then save

[IF product_custom1]%product_custom1[/IF]

Would suggest you take a copy of template incase anything goes wrong and test.

Another option would be to use the barcode & manufacturers part number fields. You could use barcode for the ISBN and part number for the publisher and just change the names in the language manager. Easier to do as no changes to template required but if these fields are already in use for any products then its not an option.
    Regards,

Dave