Thread: 1 item, 2 products, 1 stock level...?

Question 1 item, 2 products, 1 stock level...?

We have a particular product that can basically be built as one of two different items. So the customer buys the box and can make product A or product B.

It makes sense to create 2 products on the website, both avoid confusion with the customer as to exactly what the product is and also for SEO.

So product A and B will have different titles, different images, and a different description.

However, as it is the same physical box, is there any way to create the products in BP in such as way that they share the stock level? So if someone buys product A, the stock of both product A and product B is reduced?

Variations? I cannot think of any other way to do it, but someone else might know.

Thanks, I've just looked that up in the help system and it looks like that appears as a single product where you can choose different types within it. I'm really looking for something that appears as two completely different products but uses the same stock.

That's what I thought you were looking to do (creating two separate products), I don't how to do that, not sure it can be done, but I might be wrong.

Just to point out that variations are treated as separate products in Google Shopping, though that likely doesn't go far enough for what you hope to do.

Hopefully someone who has tried/succeeded at achieving this may reply soon.

Bundles should be your friend on this one. Create Product A as a normal product, then create a second product for Product B.

Set it as a Bundle, and select 1 x Product A in Related products. Your stock level for the boxes needs to correct in Product A, and Product B's stock is auto updated.
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Loxta View Post
    Bundles should be your friend on this one. Create Product A as a normal product, then create a second product for Product B.
    Yes, that's seems to work well on the stock, but then on the order if you've purchased product B it shows both A and B on the order, dispatch note and invoice. There is an option to switch off the bundle components on the invoice and delivery note which is good. Luckily the order confirmation and order complete emails don't break the bundle down otherwise that would be super confusing...

So the only downside is the confusing way it's show on the order page, but I guess I can get used to that.

Thanks - It always amazes me how often there is a solution to a weird requirement!

Agreed about the confusing format on bundles on the order page and invoices, would be helpful if the highlighted by colour or text size to make the bundle part clear
    Shaun

Loxta Hardware
    www.loxta.co.uk