Thread: Google - "Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)"

Question Google - "Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)"

So I looked in Google console and it seems my site has been throwing up a bunch of "Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)" errors since may for some reason.

There are nearly 200 affected pages but it only give 2 examples, this is one of them:

https://www.darkhammer.uk/space-mari...ctical-warsuit

I understand what CLS is, and yes it is super annoying (news websites seem to be the worst offenders) - basically it's where the page keeps moving around as various different parts load, making it hard to read blocks of text, and causing you to hit the wrong ling as the links move just as you hit the mouse button.

However, I'm struggling to figure out what it is on my website that is actually causing the problem.

Does anyone know of any tools that will identify the problem? Or can anyone see the problem? When I view the page it looks fine and loads instantly.

Try temporally disabling the Twitter and Pinterest share buttons and then re-testing - these are loaded in externally via an iframe and as such, they maybe causing the page to jump slightly during rendering.

Mike

*temporarily

Nice one, that looks like it might be it - the 3 websites with that problem all had social buttons enabled, the ones without the problem didn't... just have to wait "upto 28 days" for google to validate the fix... thanks.

For your info Iíve got Norton 360 installed. It tells me your site is a security risk and blocks me from visiting it.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been to the norton website where it says, "Threat Report This is a known dangerous web page. It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page."

It has it in the category of "phishing". This is just a regular bluepark website with nothing special about it so no idea what's going on there. I've submitted a dispute, which will take up to 2 days to get a reply.

In the meantime can I suggest you get a more reliable security suite, because obviously Norton is a complete clownshow...

No problem. Itís the first Bluepark site Iíve come across where Norton doesnít like it. Hope you get it sorted soon.