Thread: PayPal Commerce platform

Default PayPal Commerce platform

Hello

Does anyone use PayPal Commerce platform on their website?

I currently accept paypal but also have opayo/worldpay for credit cards so 2 additional costs each month for credit cards

paypal have contacted offering the PayPal Commerce platform at reasonable rates in comparison as obviously I would have to pay monthly charge to both opayo and worldpay
    but wondered if it might put some buyers off as not all buyers want to use paypal, is it obvious they are paying with paypal?

the paypal guy said I could still run opayo/worldpay along with it whilst I decided if it was suitable but I think too many options would confuse buyers,

also I forgot to ask him, does it have a remote card payment system to take telephone orders?

i've used opayo(previously sagepay) for probably 15 yrs or more and just not sure if I should fix something that isn't broken even though it would be nice to not have themonthy charges and annual psi compliance stuff

We currently use Paypal commerce with our Bluepark site. The customer has 2 options when they get to the checkout: Pay By Card or Pay With Paypal. If they select card then they remain on our site and are given boxes to enter their card details, with no further mention of Paypal. While Paypal will be doing the back end processing the customer doesn't know this.
    If they choose to pay with their paypal account then they are prompeted to enter their login and complete payment. In both cases they end up at the same Sale Completed screen.

For phone sales we use the the Bluepark MOTO system: You then take their order via the website and take their card details. Payment is completed by card in the same was as above.

I don't know the technicallities of it all, but PCI compliance is kept to a minimum as the actual flow of data is taking place on Paypals servers, not your webite. For anyone buying online we never see their card details nor do we store it anywhere on our system.

Youre able to make instant transfers from your Paypal account to your bank account, which is the major draw for us.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomg View Post
    We currently use Paypal commerce with our Bluepark site. The customer has 2 options when they get to the checkout: Pay By Card or Pay With Paypal. If they select card then they remain on our site and are given boxes to enter their card details, with no further mention of Paypal. While Paypal will be doing the back end processing the customer doesn't know this.
    If they choose to pay with their paypal account then they are prompeted to enter their login and complete payment. In both cases they end up at the same Sale Completed screen.

For phone sales we use the the Bluepark MOTO system: You then take their order via the website and take their card details. Payment is completed by card in the same was as above.

I don't know the technicallities of it all, but PCI compliance is kept to a minimum as the actual flow of data is taking place on Paypals servers, not your webite. For anyone buying online we never see their card details nor do we store it anywhere on our system.

Youre able to make instant transfers from your Paypal account to your bank account, which is the major draw for us.

Tom
    thank you Tom,

so the customer doesn't realise their payment is with paypal if they choose card then ? i'm obviously looking at reducing costs so am thinking this might be a good option

do you have to have paypal moto set up or is it already with the commerce option?

Paypal Commerce is already available and ready to set up with BP. All you have to do is enter your PP account details and press some accept buttons when they pop up during set up.

The only draw back we find with PPC is that when their system is busy it won't allow customers to enter their card details when paying by card (they can still check out using pay by PP). We have lost a number of customers because of this issue (they blame our website when it is PP (but they don't realise that), so we are looking to switch our main card processing elsewhere.

PP is more expensive than Opayo etc. Our PP fees run into the hundreds per month, switching to somewhere like Opayo would more than half our card processing fees.

I use opayo now but have worldpay as a merchant so 2 lots of fees,

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    so the customer doesn't realise their payment is with paypal if they choose card then ? i'm obviously looking at reducing costs so am thinking this might be a good option
    If they choose to pay by card then they just have the boxes to put in their card details, then the Payment Successful page of your site. No mention of PP.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    do you have to have paypal moto set up or is it already with the commerce option?
    We have PP Commerce setup as our payment processor and MOTO worked straight out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomg View Post
    If they choose to pay by card then they just have the boxes to put in their card details, then the Payment Successful page of your site. No mention of PP.

We have PP Commerce setup as our payment processor and MOTO worked straight out of the box.
    Thank you

So I did some sums before he called me back and work out that it would have been more expensive through paypal commerce compared to using opayo and world pay that I use now,

what I am interested in is moto, does this cost extra? the guy from paypal had no idea of costs and did say he would get back to me (he hasn't)

I would like to take payment over the phone but don't get many requests so dont want to pay too much for it

You could have a look at using Stripe. We changed to them a couple of years ago from SagePay + First Data (was Streamline). Haven't had any issues. You can do MOTO as well. No hassle of yearly compliance questionnaires (can't even remember what the system is called!). No monthly fees and rates per sale are very reasonable. Simple to set up and use.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfree View Post
    You could have a look at using Stripe. We changed to them a couple of years ago from SagePay + First Data (was Streamline). Haven't had any issues. You can do MOTO as well. No hassle of yearly compliance questionnaires (can't even remember what the system is called!). No monthly fees and rates per sale are very reasonable. Simple to set up and use.
    I'll have a look thank you

I would be careful about keeping a lot of money in PayPal. A lot of people are complaining that their account got locked for up to 180 days and your money will be frozen without explanation.... Yes they are very easy to use and integrate into your webshop but keep in mind that they got your money all the time until you move them to your bank,

We've heard horror stories of Sagepay/Elavon doing the same but for 217 days, but you don't get the money at end of it.