Thread: Google CLS Issue - lots of "poor" desktop pages since 23rd Feb...?

Default Google CLS Issue - lots of "poor" desktop pages since 23rd Feb...?

I'm just looking at our stats in google search console, and while it seems to love our website for mobiles, it seems to hate it on desktop.

On the 23rd of Feb we suddenly went from no problems at all to 200+ pages ranked "poor" because of CLS issues. ie. page shift issues.

As this was so sudden, and I don't remember making any site wide changes around that time, I'm just wondering if a) anyone else has seen this? b) did BP make a changes around that time? c) did google make a change around that time...?

Somewhat unhelpfully, out of 200+ pages it only provides 1 example, which looks ok to me...

It can be a problem especially when loading javascript and other resources from external websites. If those external websites are running slow it will cause CLS issues.

Having said that as Stoked says here when you last posted a thread on this topic BP are working on new versions of the templates which should address this issues.

https://www.bluepark.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=cls%5D
    Regards,

Dave

wow, there is something wrong with my memory, I don't even remember asking that... and despite giving it a helpful subject line I didn't find it when I searched before posting...

Well google was showing zero errors for as far back as it went, so I guess either new templates or removing the social media buttons fixed that original problem...

Just found a tool that should locate the issues, I see what that digs up.

Usually the problem is due to iframes loading after the initial page has rendered causing a content to shift/reflow. On the product page the social media share buttons are iframes, so try switching these off.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    BP are working on new versions of the templates which should address this issues.
    This was announced in the Christmas newsletter and it stated it was scheduled for Q1. Obviously this has now been and gone, so I enquired with support this morning with regard to an ETA - I got a reply saying they do not have a release date, but aiming to release them in the next month or so.

Hopefully it won't be too long as I was halfway through working on a new site when I heard about the new templates, so I've put the work on hold until these are released.

Mike