Thread: Dud email addresses and the mailing list

Default Dud email addresses and the mailing list

Hi folks,

Can I pick your brains? As the mailing list grows we also have an increasing number of dud email addresses. I am not sure quite what to do... I could spend hours clearing them out of the customer records but that seems such a waste of time... but the alternative is a growing number of failed emails bouncing back when the newsletter goes out. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Gill
    Luxury Lingerie & Sleepwear

Hi Gill,

I get these too. I clear the names and addresses out. When I get a bounceback I just copy and paste this address into the search find the customer and delete it. Otherwise you'll get more and more each time you send out a special offer newsletter.

I've noticed that a lot are company email addresses and so those people have probably moved on and their addresses are no longer active.

I wonder if it would be helpful if people did not have to register anything else than their email to subscribe to the newsletter. It's a bit of a pain asking people to open an account rather than subscribing and I do think that this puts some people off signing up.

Hi,

Yes they are mounting up - about 40 of them now which is what made me think about the problem. I also have a separate newsletter sign up and they only have to give their email address for that. Its just a page with a contact form and I have more recently been posting each weekly newsletter as a link on that page so people can actually see what they get when they sign up.

However I did catch a rather big competitor sneakily signing up... But they very stupidly gave themselves away. If you want to know the full story and who it was pm me.

Cheers

Gill
    Luxury Lingerie at ever-so-sexy.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkypie View Post
    Hi Gill,

I get these too. I clear the names and addresses out. When I get a bounceback I just copy and paste this address into the search find the customer and delete it.
    We do a similar thing but instead of deleting them we just untick their contact boxes.

The reason being they may have loyalty points on their accounts and thet may contact you and try to find out their account details as they are unable to login.

Also a reason for bounces may have something to do with spam filters or firewalls etc.

You can tell if they have ordered before Mike as there is an 'orders' field. I leave these. Any others I just delete, I figure if they are that bothered they will sign up again.

Gill, love the story, feel free to PM me the gory details!! I started selling on eBay an had one customer who used to buy from me to sell on and then I found she had set up her own rival company so blocked her from bidding!! Cheeky cow!! A few weks ago an 'unsubscribe' came through and it was her address, I remembered it and it was definately her. I have a story about that too if anyone wants to PM me!!